Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Spelling Activity


I made a stamping spelling activity for Judy.  It is a set of alphabet stamps I got at Hobby Lobby on clearance.  A recycled Fruit Roll up box, a stamp pad and note cards.


Here is how it is supposed to work:


This is how the finished product is supposed to look:




I learned a trick for gleaning everyday spelling words from a mom I met on AP_Homeschoolers.  Susan would (still might)  take words which her children didn't know.  When her children read out loud, she made a note of words they didn't know or stumbled on, and she would create ther weekly spelling list from those words.  

I select a poem in the morning and while D and J are working on their first work, I read it to them.  Then When Davy is working on Voyages in English, I have Judy read the poem back to me.  I have been collecting words from that and will give her a small list to stamp tomorrow.

The poems this week have been really fun.  The first poem was The Adventures of Isabel  by Odgen Nash, and Jimmy Jet and His TV Set  by Shel Silverstein.

1 comment:

Risa said...

The spelling activity looks neat, April--we do cornmeal spelling, fridge magnet spelling, etc. so a new medium is always appreciated. And I LOVE the Jimmy Jet and his TV Set poem--I am going to share that with Daegan tomorrow.