Wednesday, January 14, 2009

SO TRUE!!

The following is really true.  There is a culture of rudeness and one-up-ness.  Rarely do you find a group that you trully can feel like being open and totally yourself without being judged.  I recommend you subscribe to the following blog.  It is such a fun read and the pictures are wonderful.  You can get a link to where she sells her Little Travelers videos on her blog. The videos are taken with the perspective of her children in mind and are truly cool to watch.



excerpt from Angelina Hart's Little travelers blog.  It can be found here.  The original blog article HERE.

My point here is that in our country we do not have a common mothering culture.  We rarely tend to parent similar to other mothers around us and therefor don't seem to have a common connection to other mothers.  It is a rare instance when I can share a smile and a gesture with a mother at a park that says, "I know how you feel."  Sometimes I will look to a mother with a tantruming toddler wanting to just smile at her in a way that says, "I've been there."  but rarely will that woman look at me for fear that she is being judged.  I think it has much to do with our societies focus on competitiveness that drives much of this.  If my children aren't in the middle of a tantrum and yours are that must mean that I'm winning at being a parent and you are losing.  There really is not a sense of common ground in most cases.  Within our own small groups sometimes that spirit of 'in it together' does emerge, but I'm talking about with strangers in the park or the grocery store.

No comments: